|Anish with his family in Hoogeveen|
Country: The Netherlands
Born: 28 June 1994
Current Fide Rating: 2682
Peak rating: 2682 (November 2010)
Anish Kumar Giri is just 16 year old...and yet, so many things to be said about his chess career, personality, interests or personal life.
His talent, ambition and hard work are already visible through his chess results:
1. Winner of the closed Dutch Championship in Haaksbergen, September 2009.
2. Winner of the Corus B-Group in Wijk aan Zee, January 2010, aged only 15.
3. In May 2010 it was revealed that Anish had aided Viswanathan Anand in preparation for the World Chess Championship 2010 against challenger Veselin Topalov.
4. Winner of the 18th annual Sigeman & Co Tournament at the end of may 2010, with a performance rating of 2936.
5. One of the best scorers for the Rising Stars team during the NH tournament against the Experienced team, August 2010 - I know he doesn't have the best memories from this tournament, but his result shouldn't be forgotten.
6. Bronze medal in Olympiad, Khanty-Mansiysk, October 2010, playing board 4 for the Dutch team.
And this is just the beginning...
Despite his young age, Anish has a very strong personality, an important tool in becoming a top player. His flexibility in adapting to the new positions that arise on the chess board and to strike back in a proper moment, is also one of his main strengths. Is the fact that he had to adjust with a new life in Russia, Japan and Holland responsible for this?! What we know for sure is that Anish has a lot more to say to the chess world...
Alina: Who or what inspires you?
Anish: My good mood inspires me.
Al: What's your funniest memory?
An: When I was about to lose my first serious chess game, I stole the rook of my opponent:)
Al: Favourite drink?
An: Mango lassy - (ed. you can find the recipe here , I also like this drink very much:)
Al: If you were written about in the newspaper, on the front page, what would the headline say?
An: The kid strikes!
Al: What makes you angry?
An: When I see the right move, but I choose the wrong one (both in chess and life).
Al: Which is your wish that is not yet fulfilled?
An: I am very happy that I cannot think of an answer to this question.
Al: Name one regret that you have
An: You only know what to regret at the end of the life.
Al: If you could give the world one piece of advice, what would it be?
An: Never listen to any advices.
Al: If you could choose one of your personality traits to pass on to your children, what would it be?
An: Love and respect for the parents.
Al: One of your best games
An: Nyzhnyk - Anish 2008, Werle - Anish 2009 or Anish - Harikrishna 2010.
Al: Favourite book
An: "A short history of nearly everything", Bill Bryson.
Al: Where do you see yourself in 20 years?
An: I cannot see that far, but I can tell you in a week:)
Al: How do you recover after a terrible lost game?
An: With the next game.
Al: If you could pick any career, what would you want to be?
An: Stand-up comedian.
Al: If you could choose to have a superpower, what would that be?
An: To see what poeple think.
Thank you Anish!